It’s officially winter. Keep up the momentum!
We’ve talked about ways to keep the motivation to exercise in these short chilly days, as keeping up the momentum through winter is often a challenge. After all its so tempting to snuggle up on the couch, right? Hopefully you’re wearing lots of layers, doing a good warm up and down session each time you exercise, and staying motivated.
We all know that keeping healthy during the winter months doesn’t only come down to maintaining your exercise regime, its also a matter of being able to resist the temptation to over indulge on some mouth-watering, belly-warming, hearty winter fare. So to avoid an influx of kilos during the winter months we’ve asked our team at Balance to share their favourite hearty yet healthy recipes.
Here’s one of our winter favourites, and living here in Newcastle by the sea, takes advantage of the amazing fresh local seafood so readily available. Bon appetit!
Ginger Prawn & Broccoli Stir Fry
- 3 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 500g shelled green prawns
- 5cm piece of ginger, julienned
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemongrass
- ½ onion
- 400g broccoli or broccolini
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons good quality fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 6-8 spring onions or shallots
- 250ml Chicken stock
- Handful of baby spinach leaves
- Handful of Thai Basil leaves
- 1 red chilli
- Stir fry green prawns in batches in 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a large fry pan or wok, over high heat. Cook for approx. 30 seconds on each side, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to the pan and place over medium heat, add the ginger, garlic, onion, shallots, lemongrass, chilli and broccoli florets. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the tamari, fish sauce, chicken stock and simmer for 1 minute, before adding the prawns back into the pan, mixing through until just cooked.
- Remove from the heat, toss through the spinach and basil leaves and serve.